Hello, we are the Hebden Bridge chapter of the Women’s Institute and we’re more ‘wine and wisecracks’ than ‘jam and Jerusalem’.
We are a character-filled, vibrant and diverse group of women of all ages, sexualities, ethnicities, abilities and backgrounds. The majority of our members are in their 30’s to 50’s but as long as you’re over 18, you’re not too young or old to join us.
You don’t need to make jam, bake, knit or sew. Although many of us do enjoy those things: being in arty Hebden Bridge, we’re quite a crafty WI and you’ll often see members happily knitting or crocheting through a meeting.
In addition to our monthly meeting on the 3rd Monday of the month, we have several sub-groups where like-minded women can get together and share ideas, skills, and passions. See the meetings page for more details.
We’re always keen for new women to join our group. If you’re not sure whether the Hebden Bridge WI is your thing, then please take a look around our blog, have a chat to us on Twitter and or just come along to a meeting and check us out. We pride ourselves on being friendly and would be delighted to meet you.
If you’re only interested in a particular meeting, you’re welcome to attend as a guest for £3, although we do ask that people become a full member if they’ve attended more than two meetings.
WI membership currently costs £36 per annum and has many benefits:
- Membership of the largest women’s organisation in England and Wales
- 8 copies of the WI Life magazine sent direct to your door
- Free access to our 12 monthly meetings and all the other free activities we organise
- Additional social events like theatre, art and cinema visits
- Access to our private Facebook group where you can keep up with all the news and chat
- Annual fundraising for local Calderdale charities
- The chance to win an annual Hebden Bridge WI educational bursary of £500
- Further opportunities from both the West Yorkshire Federation and National WI Federation